Oct 2021 Important Announcement for California Estheticians
Who can do lash lifting, tinting and brow lamination in California in 2022? Estheticians can! That's who!
A recently passed law means good news for California estheticians. The new state board rule allows licensed estheticians to perform tinting, lifting, and lamination services for the lashes and brows, and will be taking effect in January 2022, per the newly updated Board of Barbering and Cosmetology state law. That’s right. It’s now legal!!
Changes to the existing laws were proposed by California Senate Bill 803 in May of 2021 to help alleviate previous confusion around whether or not these treatments fell within the scope of practice for estheticians. Prior to the new law, many licensed professionals in California were unknowingly being trained on these procedures at board accredited institutions but were unaware of laws banning estheticians from offering these popular lash and brow services.
As a result, many beauty professionals were performing services illegally in California and putting themselves at risk of a $1000 penalty. Yipes!
Fortunately, thanks to the diligent petitioning of many industry professionals and educators, new language in the bill eliminates grey areas and modifies the scope of California estheticians to include the following:
- Tinting and perming of eyelashes and brows
- Sugaring for hair removal
- Hair removal done by nonprescription chemicals
To quote from the bill:
Section 7316 of the Business and Professions Code is amended to read:
The practice of skin care is all or any combination of the following practices:
(1) Giving facials, massaging, stimulating, exfoliating, cleansing, or beautifying the face, scalp, neck, hands, arms, feet, legs, or upper part of the human body by the use of hands, esthetic devices, cosmetic products, antiseptics, lotions, tonics, or creams for the purpose of improving the appearance or well-being of the skin that do not result in the ablation or destruction of the live tissue.
(2) Tinting and perming of the eyelashes and brows, or applying eyelashes to any person.
And it goes on. Read the actual bill here…
Even better news? Estheticians have some new business opportunities!
This upcoming 2022 legal update is a great opportunity for spas and salons looking to expand their offerings and add-on services. If you’re excited to add these trending treatments to your menu next year, here’s everything you need to know to get started and set yourself up for success.
First, let’s start with explaining what these lash and brow services are.
Lash & Brow Tinting
- What it is: Tinting is a semi-permanent dye treatment that can be applied to the brows and/or lashes to temporarily tint and darken the hair. It can also be combined with brow shaping and laminating or lash lifting, to enhance results.
- Why you’ll love it: Tinting services are quick and easy to perform as a standalone service, or as an add-on to facial protocols with minimal cost. Clients will love the way tinting adds natural definition and eliminates the need for makeup for weeks at a time.
- What you’ll need: Cream hair dyes in various shades, saline solution for cleansing, liquid oxidant developer, protection papers, color chart, tint palette, color tint remover, skin protection cream and eye mask, tinting application brushes, and mini dishes for dye.
CSS Pro Product Pick: RefectoCil’s Professional Tinting Starter Kit.
CSS Pro Product Pick
RefectoCil Professional Tinting Starter Kit
Lash Lifting & Curling
- What it is: Sometimes referred to as “lash perming”, lash lifting and curling treatments work with the natural lash. By simply adding a semi-permanent curl to the lash hairs, they appear longer, more voluminous and defined.
- Why you’ll love it: A more time-efficient and budget-friendly alternative to lash extensions, lash lifting is a great option for clients with naturally lengthy lashes or anyone looking to create long, lovely lashes without mascara. Results last six to eight weeks and will have your clients hooked.
- What you’ll need: Curl and lift glue, eyelash curl rollers and eyelash lift pads in various sizes, saline solution for cleansing, eyelash curl and lift application sticks, soft cosmetic brushes and application mini dishes, perm and neutralizer solution.
CSS Pro Product Pick: RefectoCil Eyelash Curl Kit and Eyelash Lift Kit
CSS Pro Product Pick
RefectoCil Eyelash Curl Kit
CSS Pro Product Pick
RefectoCil Eyelash Lift Kit
- What it is: Similar to perming treatments for the lashes, brow lamination uses a semi-permanent solution to fluff, define or manipulate the brow hairs into a manicured style, and keep them held in place.
- Why you’ll love it: Results of a brow lamination are temporary but last for weeks or even months at a time, making them a hit with low-maintenance clients. They also make for a polished, professional and more updated look that your existing brow regulars will love.
- What you’ll need: Lash and brow perm solution, eye protection pads, neutralizer solution, soft cosmetic brushes and application mini dishes. CSS Pro Product Pick: RefectoCil Brow Lamination Kit
CSS Pro Product Pick
Brow Lamination Kit
Esthetician success tips for adding brow & lash services
You now know what you can add to your list of services. How is the next question. We’ve compiled 3 easy tips to get you started.
Tip #1: Get properly trained
We can’t stress this enough! Before adding any new service to your treatment menu, acquiring certification and training is essential. You’ll want to be sure you feel confident and have lots of practice under your belt before incorporating a new protocol and introducing it to your clients.
Additionally, don’t be afraid to display your new certifications and list them on your booking website. Your credentials can help build trust with clients and get them excited about your expert skill set.
Tip #2: Get the word out
Once you’re on your way to getting fully trained and acquiring all the needed supplies, it’s a good time to start talking up your new services to your clientele. For example, you might entice them with before and after pics or include an update in your next monthly newsletter explaining all the incredible benefits. Live demos on social media can also be especially eye-catching and attention grabbing for potential clients.
Tip #3: Get your clients hooked
For strategic selling include package deals, a free upgrade bundled with other services, or a rebooking discount at checkout as a thank you to your client for trying something new.
Because brow and lash treatments produce instant results and instant gratification, these treatments often sell themselves. But just in case, it doesn’t hurt to offer a little incentive. A few ideas for strategic selling could include package deals, or a free upgrade bundled with other services. You could also offer a rebooking discount at checkout as a thank you to your client for trying something new.
Bonus Pro Tip: Stay connected with California Skincare Supply!
For helping you learn all the ins and outs of all the latest lash and brow services – including brow and lash tinting, brow lamination and lash lifting – California Skincare Supply offers comprehensive training covering everything you need to know.
Upcoming online webinars make it easier than ever to learn proper protocols, professional techniques and safety, plus best business practices for pricing, marketing and more. Our upcoming training and certification classes on lash lifts and brow lamination include live demonstrations as well as supply kits and materials from the industry experts at RefectoCil.
Training for November 1st, is sold out. However, you can be the first to find out about classes being added in Spring of 2022, when you sign up for the CSS newsletter. Be sure to get on the list and stay informed! Subscription form is below!
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter to get notifications for all our trainings for estheticians and other skincare professionals.
In addition, California Skincare Supply is here to answer any questions you may have on any topic related to skincare products and esthetician services. Join our Facebook Group for one-on-one attention. In addition our community members jump in for helpful advice. See you there?
To your success!